Entire Course Link
Week 1 Quiz: Chapters 1, 3 and 4
1) The earliest known example of a formal written legal code was the __________.
A) Declaration of Independence
B) Code of Hammurabi
C) Retributive Code of Romans
D) U.S. Constitution
2) This type of remedy requires one party to perform certain acts or refrain from certain actions.
A) monetary damages
B) judicial discretion
C) habeas corpus
D) injunctive relief
3) __________ due process is concerned with protecting people's life, liberty, and property rights.
4) The law that emerged from the first meeting of Congress was the __________.
A) Articles of Confederation
B) Federal Judiciary Act of 1891
C) Federal Judiciary Act of 1789
D) Congressional Judiciary Act of 1788
5) Currently, just __________ of the federal district courts' caseload is criminal; the rest of the cases they decide are civil.
6) The federal court system is comprised of __________ tiers of courts.
7) The total incoming trial caseload for lower state courts exceeds over __________ in any given year.
8) Appeals from limited jurisdiction courts usually go before the general jurisdiction courts as a new trial, known as a __________.
B) en banc trial
C) trial de novo
D) caseflow management
9) During the colonial period, most political authority rested with __________ who were appointed by the king of England.
A) village leaders
B) public commissioners
C) high chancellors
10) The term used to describe the sharing of judicial power between the states and the federal government.
A) judicial federalism
B) judicial synergism
C) judicial leverage
D) judicial collaboration